- Financial Plan
- Engineering & Utilities
- Public Works & Operations
- Land Use & Planning
- By-Law Enforcement
- Building Permits & Regulations
- Waste, Recycling & Composting Services
- Mitchell Automated Waste Program
- Kleefeld Automated Waste Program
- Grunthal Automated Waste Program
- Fire & Emergency Services
- Property Tax Information
- Election Services
- Sale of Property Ownership Maps
- 2016 Spring Road Restrictions
Waste, Recycling & Composting Services
The RM of Hanover has made arrangements for all residential solid waste to be taken to the City of Steinbach Waste Disposal Ground (N1/2 23-6-6 EPM), located a half mile East of PTH 12 on Hanover Road (south of Steinbach).
Residential garbage collection is provided through private contractors to those residents residing in our urban centres. The collection schedule is as follows:
- Blumenort - Tuesday
- Grunthal - Friday
- Kleefeld - Tuesday
- Mitchell - Wednesday
- New Bothwell - Tuesday
For those residents not currently supplied with garbage collection, there are four private companies that collect waste in the Municipality:
- Rush Sanitation - 204-320-9097
- J&L Paving Stone & Sanitation - 204-434-6692
- Pak-Man Disposals - 204-371-1570
- Bristal Hauling (bins available) - 204-388-4550
Waste Removal & Recycling Services
The Council of The Rural Municipality of Hanover has re-negotiated its waste disposal agreement with the City of Steinbach. The Municipality of Hanover will continue to provide garbage collection & recycling services to the urban communities presently receiving that service. In the future, anyone (including Steinbach residents) attending the City of Steinbach waste disposal site will be required to pay a minimum fee of $5.00. The agreement with Steinbach is limited to urban residential garbage only.
Hanover will not extend garbage collection and recycling services to rural areas of the Municipality at this time. Hanover will no longer pay tipping fees for residences outside of the present urban areas. Rural residents using contracted garbage collection services will pay a collection/tipping fee directly to their contractor.
The Municipality will create service areas (Mitchell, Kleefeld, Blumenort, Grunthal and New Bothwell) and negotiate contracts for these communities. All services will be provided on a fee for service basis. Fees may be adjusted annually depending on the volume of garbage delivered to the Steinbach landfill site from each community.
Please contact them directly if you have any questions or require their services. All vehicles entering the Steinbach Waste Disposal Ground must identify the location from which they are hauling. Residential waste will be accepted without charge. Waste from construction/renovation projects, yard clean up (such as trees and branches) and large volumes of waste may be subject to a tipping fee. All commercial waste is subject to a tipping fee. Please contact the City of Steinbach Waste Disposal Grounds directly at the number below if you have any questions regarding fees.
The City of Steinbach Waste Disposal Grounds hours are:
- Winter Hours (Nov 1-Mar 31): 9am-5pm Monday through Saturday
- Summer Hours (Apr 1-Oct 31): Monday through Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm
Commercial haulers are able to set-up an account with the City of Steinbach. For more information you can contact the City of Steinbach Waste Disposal Grounds at 346-6500.
Eastman Recycling Services WILL accept the following materials:
- Newspapers - Including flyers and inserts.
- Aluminium Containers - Including all rigid aluminium containers.
- PET or #1 Plastic Containers - Including soft drink bottles, some food product and personal care product containers.
- HDPE or #2 Plastic Containers - Including milk jugs, some food product and some personal care product containers.
- LPDE #4 Plastic Containers and Lids - Including lids from containers normally used for margarine, yogurt and other food products.
- PP or #5 Plastic Containers - Including containers normally used for margarine, yogurt and other food products.
- #7 Plastic Containers - Including bottles sometimes used for ketchup and other condiments.
- Steel Containers - Including all steel food/beverage cans.
- Magazines/Catalogues - Including glossy paper publications.
- Gable Top Beverage Cartons - Including milk, milk product and juice cartons.
- Boxboard - Including all paperboard boxes (eg. cereal boxes, laundry detergent boxes, toy boxes, show boxes, etc.)
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Telephone Directories
- Brick Style (tetra-pack)
- Beverage Containers
Eastman Recycling Services WILL NOT accept the following materials:
- Polystyrene Containers and Packing Materials
- Plastic Film
- Aluminium Foil
For a copy of the informational brochure that should have been in the garbage bin Click Here
Bring your leaves, grass and branches to RM of Hanover's Community Compost Depots. Visit Green Action Centre for more information on composting. The compost depots are new for 2016. Please check the website regularly for added locations throughout the summer and fall. Compost depot locations, dates and times are listed below or view the events calendar on our website:
Kleefeld - corner of 216 and College from 5:00 to 8:00 pm, Wednesday evenings on the following dates:
- May 24th
- May 31st
- June 7th
- June 14th
- September 27th
- October 4th
- October 11th
- October 18th
- October 25th from
Saturday depots will be held in Kleefeld from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on October 7th and October 21st.
Mitchell - Mitchell Arena parking lot from 5:00 to 8:00 pm, Thursday evenings on the following dates:
- May 25th
- June 1st
- June 8th
- June 15th
- September 28th
- October 5th
- October 12th
- October 19th
- October 26th
Saturday depots will be held in Mitchell from 9:00 to 3:00 pm on October 14th and October 28th.
New Bothwell - Community Centre grounds from 5:00 to 8:00 pm, Monday evenings on the following dates:
- May 22nd
- May 29th
- June 5th
- June 12th
- September 25th
- October 2nd
- October 16th
- October 23rd
- October 30th
Grunthal - Friday evenings from 5:00 to 8:00 pm on the following dates:
- May 26th
- June 2nd
- June 9th
- June 16th
- September 29th
- October 6th
- October 13th
- October 20th
- October 27th
Blumenort - Blumenort Park from 5:00 to 8:00 pm, Tuesday evenings on the following dates:
- May 23rd
- May 30th
- June 6th
- June 13th
- September 26th
- October 3rd
- October 10th
- October 17th
- October 24th
*Important Notice: Please do not leave bags beside the trailer during non-operational times.
What to Compost:
- Weeds without seeds
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste
- Small branches
Tips for reducing your waste
1. Backyard Composting
Clean collected organic material can be taken to the City of Steinbach landfill or one of their community compost depots that are open every Saturday from the end of May until mid-October. For more information visit the City of Steinbach website.
Spread materials like dry leaves, wood chips or grass on top of the soil, around plants and on garden paths. This helps to control weeds, retain moisture, and prevent erosion.
3. Grass Cycle
The practice of leaving grass clippings on your lawn when mowing. This is an easy and convenient way to keep your lawn healthy and green.
- Mow high. Adjust the mower height to leave your lawn 3-31/2 inches long. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the grass height.
- Mulch it. Use a mulching mower to reduce the size of the clippings. They will break down and release nutrients to your lawn more readily.
- Keep it sharp and dry. A dull blade can damage grass. Sharpen mower blades annually and mow when the grass is dry.
- Alternate mowing direction. This keeps the grass from being pushed over in just one direction and being damaged by the sun.