All buildings with an area greater than 120 ft2 require a building permit. Building permit applications must include:
- Completed Building Permit Application Form.
- Site plan showing the location of the proposed building on the property. The site plan must show the distance from the proposed building to each property line. A Surveyor's Construction Layout will be required for any building permit for any primary or accessory building or structure (including in-ground swimming pools) with a permanent foundation. This applies to the urban areas of Grunthal, Blumenort, Kleefeld, Mitchell and New Bothwell. Hand drawn or digitally drafted site plans will no longer be accepted for these types of projects in these areas.
- Buildings with basements that are deeper than 4 ft below the natural grade of the soil (and are located in the urban areas of Grunthal, Blumenort, Kleefeld, Mitchell, New Bothwell or a designated Rural Residential area) must submit a geotechnical engineer's report satisfactory to the RM of Hanover.
- Engineered drawings. The drawings MUST contain the property's civic address or legal description.
- A Surveyor’s Staking Certificate if the property is 2 acres or less in size. The municipality may require this document for larger properties at its discretion.
- A Surveyor's Construction Layout Drawing is also required for buildings with permanent foundations in the urban areas of the RM of Hanover.
The following documents may also be required based on the circumstances of your project:
- Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate (BLC).
- Letter of Authorization or proof of ownership.
Additional Permits and Information
Access (Driveway) Permits
|Lots in rural areas may need to install a driveway if the property has never been developed. In this case you will need to apply for an Access Permit. An Access Permit allows you to connect your property to a municipal road and will detail the size of the culvert required (if any).|
Access Permits are not required in urban areas unless there is a ditch in front of the property. We will determine if you require an Access Permit as part of the building permit process. You may apply for an Access Permit independently of your building permit. Please contact 204-346-7125 for information on how to proceed.
Access Permit Application Form
|In urban areas additional permits will be required to hook up to municipal utilities. These permits are generated as part the building permit process and do not require additional applications or documentation. If you have any questions regarding connecting to municipal utilities please contact the Department of Public Works at 204-346-7129.|
A demolition permit is required any time a structure is demolished or removed from a property. Demolition permits are free of charge.
Basement Development Permits
A permit is required to finish out a basement. The following is required:
The basement layout plan must have the following:
If you are building a basement suite, an additional dwelling unit fee of $3,250 will be applied to your permit fee. This fee is expected to increase to $3,500 on January 1, 2023.
Accessory Building Permits(shops, sheds, gazebos, greenhouses etc.)
|Permit requirements vary based on the size of the accessory building:|
Accessory Buildings 120 ft2 or lessNo building permit required
Accessory Buildings 120 ft2 - 750 ft2
Accessory Buildings over 750 ft2
Pole ShedsApplications for pole sheds, regardless of size, MUST be accompanied by engineered drawings.
Proximity to Highway Permits
|Any structure that is to be located within a controlled area, generally 125 feet of a property line bordering a Provincial Road (PR) or a Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) must obtain a permit from Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure (MTI) before applying for a building permit. For stretches of PTH 59 and PTH 12 the required setback is 250 ft. The permits issued by MTI will set the required minimum setback for the building on the side of the building parallel to the provincial highway.|
Please obtain the required permits from Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure prior to submitting your building permit application to the RM of Hanover.
Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure Permits
For more information contact the Permit Administrator at 204-346-7125 or email email@example.com.