A building permit is required for all decks or porches which are 24 inches or higher off the ground. All aspects of the building code must be complied with and include, but are not limited to the following:
- Where the floor level of a deck is between 24" and 72" above the ground, a railing of 36" in height must be installed around the deck. The opening between spindles must be no greater than 4".
- Where the floor level of a deck is greater than 72" above ground, the railing height must be increased to 42". The requirement for spindle spacing remains at 4".
- Completed Building Permit Application Form (found at the bottom of this page)
- Completed Open Deck Checklist (found at the bottom of this page), which will serve as your plans. You may submit your own drawings as well as long as they are acceptable to the municipal Building Inspector.
- Site plan
Enclosed or Covered Decks*
- Building Permit Application Form (found at the bottom of this page)
- Site plan
- Engineered drawings
*Please note that permit fees for covered or enclosed decks will be charged a refundable $2,500 permit deposit. This deposit is refunded upon successful completion of the deck inspection.
**A pergola is not considered a covering or enclosure and does not require a permit.
Fences & Hedges
No permits are required to build a fence or put up a hedge but they are required to comply with the Zoning By-Law (found at the bottom of this page). The rules are:
- Fences and hedges may be up to 6 ft. high in any rear or side yard, and up to 4 ft. high in any front yard.
- Fences in front yards on corner lots have additional requirements. Please contact the Permit Administrator for these requirements.
- Height restrictions do not apply in areas zoned AG (Agriculture General) or AL (Agriculture Limited).
- Fences may be built up to the property line, but it is the responsibility of the property owner to accurately locate the property line.
- Utility locates are recommended before constructing your fence. You can contact the municipality for locates on municipal utilities. For all other locates please visit http://clickbeforeyoudigmb.com/.
For more information contact the Permit Administrator at 204-346-7125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No permit fees required.